2017 Scholarship Application
Application period for the 2017 Scholarship for Student with Visual Disability: January 20 – February 28, 2017
Through generous contributions made by local service membership organizations dedicated to improving communities and encouraging leadership, a scholarship program was established for students with visual disabilities. Although the scholarship has an order of preference given to students with visual disabilities, students with other documented disabilities are encouraged to apply and will be considered for awards. The Office of Disability Services (ODS) Scholarship Committee is comprised of various Student Life offices and may include staff and students as well as faculty members. The ODS Scholarship Committee will select recipients based on the specific criteria indicated below through a competitive selection process. Funds are distributed to recipients at the beginning of the fall 2017 semester during Financial Aid disbursement.
Academic Scholarship Eligibility:
- Student must be enrolled as a full-time, degree-seeking undergraduate or graduate student at UTK at the time of application and award.
- Student must have a documented disability.
- Undergraduate student applicants must have completed 12 semester hours of coursework by January 1, 2017.
- Student must have a minimum cumulative 2.0 GPA at the time of application and award. (Suspension, academic probation, dismissal or failure to maintain a 2.0 GPA during award period will result in the scholarship being automatically revoked.)
- Transfer students must have a minimum cumulative 2.0 GPA from their previous institution(s). (Suspension, academic probation, dismissal or failure to maintain a 2.0 GPA during award period will result in the scholarship being automatically revoked.)
- Complete and submit the Online Application Form between January 20 – February 28, 2017.
- If you are not currently registered with ODS, attach a copy of your documentation regarding your disability. Please review the documentation guidelines.
- Attach a resume to your online application.
- Attach a letter of recommendation to your online application.
- Attach a 1000 word typed essay explaining how this scholarship will benefit you as a student. Please include your goals, accomplishments and any activities that you are currently involved in, both on and off campus. Essays should be typed and double spaced using 12 point font with one inch margins.
- Email a copy of your academic history to email@example.com. If you prefer to hand deliver it to the Office of Disability Services at 100 Dunford Hall, please do so no later than 4:30 PM on Tuesday, February 28, 2017. You may obtain a copy of your academic history from the Office of the University Registrar (209 Student Services Building) or print one from http://myutk.utk.edu.
Late or incomplete applications and applications without documentation of a disability, resume, academic history and a letter of recommendation will not be considered.
Five scholarships of $1,000 will be awarded for the 2017-2018 academic year. The funds will be dispersed in increments of $500, to be awarded at the beginning of the fall and spring terms.
The selection of the recipients of the Scholarship for Students with Visual Disability will be made by an ODS Scholarship Committee, with representation from various Student Life offices. The recipients agree to:
1) Write two (2) thank you letters, one addressed to the ODS Selection Committee and the second addressed to the Bearden Lion’s Club Endowment;
2) Attend an awards banquet – April 11, 2017
3) Participate in an ODS orientation session; and
4) Serve on the ODS Student Advisory Board.
The Office of Disability Services will announce the scholarship recipients by Monday, March 6, 2017, and selection results will be emailed to all applicants at that time. Distribution of funds will occur at the beginning of fall 2017 semester and spring 2018 semester during Financial Aid disbursement.
Cancellation of Scholarship
The recipients will forfeit their scholarship if they do not remain eligible to study at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville campus. Suspension, academic probation, dismissal or failure to maintain a 2.0 GPA during award period will result in the scholarship being automatically revoked.The ODS Scholarship Committee may re-award the remaining funds or return them to the scholarship fund for the following academic year.